In Art, pupils work on a series of projects based on a variety of different themes. They explore ideas and select visual information. They are taught to use and experiment with a wide variety of techniques and materials and are given regular opportunities to develop and refine their expertise. They study the work of other artists, craftspeople and designers, making connections with their own ideas and art work. They then plan and create their own final artwork which is assessed in conjunction with the preparatory work in their sketchbooks.
Pupils will be expected to develop their creative, imaginative and practical skills within the area of Art and Design through their response to projects. They will experiment and explore a wide range of media and this could include paint and pencil, clay, printing, 3-Dimensional material and photography. They will develop their drawing skills and will be required to take an independent and enquiring approach through research and development of art ideas. They will be required to complete a sketch book, support work and complete at least two final outcomes which could be a painting/drawing, or a piece of sculpture. They will be required to study the work of other artists and take inspiration from the world around them in order to fully develop their own original ideas.
GCSE Art & Design has two parts or components. Each component is marked separately and the marks are then added together to give their GCSE grade.
The two components are:
Unit 1: Personal Portfolio in Art & Design
Unit 2: Externally Set Assignment in Art and Design
The personal portfolio counts for 60% of the final marks. The externally set assignment is the remaining 40%. A GCSE course takes 2 years.
Location: Haberdashers' Aske's Federation,Pepys Road,London, SE14 5SF